Where is the DR?

Where is the DR?

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Site Placement!!

Hello! So I got my site placement! I have a link to show you where I will be. (Well as close as I can, the town is so small it doesn't show up on Google Maps but I think this is the general area). 

Click this link to see my site:
Click on this link to get an idea of the Youth Program here in PC/DR
Youth Families and Community Development

I will be in a town called El Guineo in the province of San Cristobal, population: 2,500. It is up in the mountains which is awesome because it won’t be so hot. Not too much going on otherwise. I have two more weeks of training here in Constanza then back to Santo Domingo for a bit. Tomorrow my group is giving a presentation on Adolescent Pregnancy (causes, risks, prevention) at the local high school. We gave it once already and it went pretty well. On Friday we are showing a movie as a fundraiser (raising funds to paint a mural with our youth group). Speaking of fundraisers, I went to a fundraising party last night where I had to witness kids as young as 7 dancing super sexy with each other. It was really disturbing to watch. I’m not even exaggerating, little kids practically having sex on the dance floor with their clothes on. Gross.

Hmm what else? Got my third Dominican manicure! I am addicted. They are only 50 pesos (less than two bucks). Not sure how I’m going to kick this habit when I get back to the states. Pretty much over the cold that I had last week. Still rains all the time from all the tropical depressions and storms that are passing through so the whole training group has gotten some sort of sickness from the weather. Just finished my 6th book, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz.  Great depiction of the DR.  Other that all that I’m getting lots of sleep, lots of food, all is going well.  Keep writing emails, it's great to hear from everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hey!! Just got off the phone with you. So good to hear your voice. Kill to hop a plane and come for a viz. Maybe in 2011. I'm hopeful.

    ReplyDelete